Before applying, you need to check that you have or are likely to achieve the right grades at the right level and in the right subjects for the course you have chosen. Whatever system you’re being educated in, CoICT requires top grades in the highest level qualifications. To be accepted for the admission you need to satisfy the following requirements.
Certificate in Computer Science
- Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (C.S.E.E.) or equivalent with passes in at least four approved subjects including a pass in Mathematics
- An Ordinary National Certificate at a good standing or a qualification of an equivalent standard awarded by recognized professional bodies such as the National Board of Accountants and Auditors and the Business Education Council.
Diploma in Computer Science
Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (C.S.E.E.) or equivalent with passes in at least
Three approved subjects including a pass in Mathematics.
One of the following combinations of passes in the Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education Examination or equivalent:
- Three Subsidiary passes in, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Commerce,Geography, Biology or Accountancy.
- One Principal level pass at least grade ‘C’ or better in any of the subjects listed in (b) (i) above.
- A University of Dar es Salaam Certificate in Computer Science with an average GPA of at least 3.5.
A candidate shall be deemed eligible for consideration for admission to a first-degree programme of the University of Dar es Salaam if the candidate has one of the following qualifications:
- Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (C.S.E.E.) or equivalent, with passes in FIVE approved subjects THREE of which must be at Credit level obtained prior to sitting for the Advanced Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (A.C.S.E.E.) or equivalent;
- Two principal level passes in appropriate subjects in the A.C.S.E.E. or equivalent with total points from three subjects not below 5 (for Arts programmes) and 2 (for Science-based programmes) based on the following grade to point conversion scale: A = 5; B = 4; C = 3; D = 2; E = 1; S = 0.5 and F = 0 point.
[Note: Principal level passes in Divinity/Islamic Knowledge are not counted]
- An appropriate equivalent Diploma of not less than Second class/Credit level or B grade obtained from a college which is fully registered by NACTE and approved by the UDSM Senate. For Diplomas that are further classified into Upper and Lower classes, the requirement shall be an Upper Second class or B+ average.
Note: Applicants from countries which follow an 8-4-4 education system need to complete at least one year of study at a university in their own countries before they can be considered for admission into the University of Dar es Salaam.
- A minimum score of 100 obtained from Mature Age Entry Examination (MAEE) consisting of a score of at least 50 in Paper I and 50 in Paper II.
MAEE was introduced in order to give opportunity to exceptionally well qualified Tanzanian candidates who wish to study for a first degree of the University of Dar es Salaam but do not possess qualifications which satisfy the University’s Direct/Equivalent entry requirements. To qualify for MAEE one must be 25 years of age or older on 1st August of the year in which admission is sought. In addition, one must have obtained at least three credits in approved subjects at the Certificate of Secondary Education Examination or completed Form VI at least five years before 1st September of the year in which admission is sought.
Additional Entrance Requirements
- Equivalent Entrance Qualifications for B.Sc. in Computer Science, B.Sc. with Computer Science and B.Sc. in Electronic Science and Communication
- An appropriate equivalent Diploma with an average grade of 'B' or higher.
- Equivalent Entrance Qualifications for B.Sc. in Computer Engineering and Information Technology and B.Sc in Telecommunication Engineering
- An equivalent Diploma or Full Technician Certificate from a recognized institution and approved by the UDSM Senate with at least a ‘C’ grade in Mathematics. In addition, candidates must have an overall average grade of ‘B’ in the results of the respective final examinations.